General Observations using Disability Studies

Friday, May 27, 2005

Dinner with "Pete"

Well, this post is more of a personal nature. On Wednesday evening, I got an unexpected call from a guy who I'll call "Pete." I know Pete from volunteer work I did a couple of years ago. Pete is in his early to mid fifties and he has trouble reading and writing. The two of us would meet once a week for an hour and a half and study the fundamentals of reading and writing. Part of the reason for his struggles, I'm sure, but was never diagnosed, is some form of learning disability. Another reason, which was medically diagnosed, came as a result of some chemicals he worked with while employed as a custodian. The chemicals did damage to parts of his brain. In actuality, Pete is a bright guy. About twenty years ago, even though at the time he was close to illiterate, he figured out the numbers to the stock market and invested and made a decent sum of money from his ventures. He also is quite gifted with his hands. He can build or repair just about anything. When we first met about three years ago, he told me that he got called stupid a lot. He said he'd had employers and even some teachers either state or imply that he was dumb. He said he signed up for the program, because he wanted to show those people they were wrong. By the time I'd met him, he'd used this agency's services for a few years, and his reading and writing had gone from close to illiterate to about a seventh or eight grade level. As he and I worked together, over time he got better and better with his language skills. He never did pass his G.E.D. (General Equivlancy Diploma), but he worked hard and learned quite a lot. He also gained more confidence in himself. When I saw him at dinner this past Wednesday he told me about a new job he had assembling bikes and furniture and grills for a national department store. He was getting the most money he'd ever made, and now could read through the contracts and the health care and life insurance policies so he would know what he was signing and what was the best plan for him. He said his boss treated him well and with respect. Pete was relaxed and comfortable with who he was and felt good about the direction his life was going. Pete demonstrates to me what reading and writing can do for a person, but also what perseverance can do. If I were called dumb and stupid by bosses and teachers I don't think I'd have the guts that Pete continues to show. He keeps moving forward, proving doubters and detractors wrong each step along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home